Saturday, January 1, 2011

Book Recap

I had planned on finishing these next couple of posts before the new year..clearly that didn't happen.  I have been   relaxing with the family and now have a horrid cold.:(


I haven't done a book recap in awhile... so here are the rest of the books I read in 2010.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett- This was a great book. If you haven't read it...and love a historical fiction,you will love this book. It is set during the civil rights movement and is about three black maids who put together a book of stories about how the white women treat them and their own children.

Me and Emma- by Elizabeth Flock.  This was not my favorite book, it was well written and there is a good twist, but it is a little sad and depressing. It is about a young girl who has the most awful parents and home life.

Dead until Dark-by Charlaine Harris- This is the first book in a vampire series.  It was entertaining, that being said. I didn't continue the series.  Too many other books I want to read.

Five Quarters of an Orange-by Joanne Harris- This book took me forever to read, it wasn't a big book, it was interesting... I think it was a bit slow.  Another historical fiction set in France during WW2. I thought I was enjoying it while I was reading...however I was happy when it was done.

Miracle on the 17th Green-by-James Patterson & Peter De Jonge.  After the last book I flew through this one.  It was such a fun easy read. I know just enough about golf to really enjoy this book. Chad really liked it as well. 

The Oak Leaves-by-Maureen Lang.  This book was so fascinating. It was set current day, but the main character found a journal from a member of her family from many generations ago, so a lot of the story was set in history. Which if you haven't noticed.. I love historical fiction:)

Still Missing-by-Chevy Stevens.  This was a great suspense novel.  I really enjoyed this book, the whole story was told during therapy sessions from a kidnap victim who was returned. 

And the Last book I read in 2010-

The Kitchen House-by-Kathleen Grissom.  This was an amazing book, it was up there with Water for Elephants in my opinion.  Historical fiction set in the late 1700's-early 1800's.  The story of a little white girl who was raised by the black slaves on a plantation in Virginia. The story continues through her early 20's.  I loved it.  MUST READ!

All of these books except 5 quarters of an Orange and Me and Emma were from my friend Jane, and are books that I would not have probably read if she hadn't given them to me, so THANKS JANE!

Tonight I will be starting a new book... not sure which one yet.









1 comments:

Kate said...

I also read The Help this year. One of my favorite books! the Kitchen house is on my list of must reads also for the new year.